Sunday 30 August 2020

#MyWordForToday is #Journey

#MyWordForToday is #Journey 

Life is a series of journeys. Every decision we take, or taken on our behalf, becomes a factor in that journey. 

Everything we do entails a journey which is probably why F. M. Alexander said, “People do not decide their futures, they decide their habits and their habits decide their futures”.

Our travel to our futures is journeying. But I have found that no two journeys are alike. 

In fact, if you view your journey from other people’s lenses, you will discover for some persons you were/are a villain, and for others, heroes. So what we mean to person A may differ from what we mean to Miss B.

If you have ever read any of my blogs, it will become apparent that I am a fervent advocate of self-leadership and personal development.

I often ask  "what if we journey in self-awareness early enough? Would this perhaps stop another from experiencing hurt at our hands? Will it stop us from hurting ourselves?" I’m afraid I do not have an answer. 

But I do know that a journey into self-discovery is crucial. When you discover who you truly are, you appreciate yourself better, leverage on your strengths and overcome your weaknesses. 

It may be why a journey to discover self is called marathon, and not a sprint. We also call it a journey rather than a destination or a goal. 

Therefore, if you are outcome-oriented, it is likely that you will miss all the lessons the journey could have afforded you. You will then continue to make the same mistakes. 

Why?  What you become while you’re going through that process of growth and discovery is much more satisfying and fulfilling than the goal itself. And the littlest decisions you make here become a momentous one.

On Wednesday, 25th August 2020, I checked my blood pressure because I had been having this pesky headaches that just won't go away. It turned out that I was courting a disaster because my blood pressure was 150/111. 

And there I was glowing and being so fiercely beautiful ❤, you could never say I had any challenge. I was also oblivious my ventricles were screaming for help. 
By that simple decision of checking my BP, the trajectory of my journey has changed, I am forced to make life-changing decisions for my life and well-being. 

It also turned out that 8 out of 10 adult Nigerians are hypertensive, and we treat it so cavalierly. 

Life is a series of decisions, no two journeys are alike, and one person’s reality differs from another, but I hope that by writing about our struggles and wins, someone somewhere may receive help, by our vulnerability and or cajones. And may have a better journey.

So if you have ever wanted to write a book, publish a Blog, start a YouTube channel, just do it, you will be 10 times better than anyone who will judge your writing or presentation skills. 

I learnt from Professor Henry Mintzberg (@Mintzberg141 on twitter) that Society now thrives on something he referred to as  “socially transmitted epidemics” STEs. 

An epidemic that allows us to see mismanagement and “miss-leadership” (my edit) all around us, but many of us do not see it in ourselves, nor do we understand its full consequences let alone it causes. 

So in our journey in life, we must not by actions/ inactions cause STEs to spread by being unduly harsh in our judgment of other people’s journeys. 

The energy to do this must instead be channelled on ourselves, our skill sets, our economic and people value.

We do not have an inexhaustible amount of energy,  therefore we should focus on the stuff good for us and our society.

It is also important to develop the ability to communicate our value to the people that surround us and our society.

Like @momentswithBren said and I reframe “Our journey in this world, particularly in these extraordinary times, has become a full-time job, and it is okay to feel tired. Cry when you want to. Reflect. Re-energize. Refocus. Re-strategize. 

Don’t forget to smell the roses. Life can be such a beautiful journey. 

Always be 'becoming something'.

Namaste 🙏🏽

Bibireosefowora

4 comments:

  1. This piece gladdens my heart, it is almost like a confirmation to start on an idea I have been pushing aside for some time now.
    Keep writing! It is obviously clear what your purpose is. Nameste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is confirmation for sure...please press ahead, the only way to do is just do. And you are immensely talented. Thank you for always Zeeka.

      Delete
  2. Succinctly stated Bibire! The more we focus on our journey, the pretty much we are able to tap into our potentials and bless our world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your name wow! And thank you for your kind thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

#MyWordForToday is #Pedestals

#MyWordForToday is #Pedestals I am not watching Big Brother Nigeria, but I can tell you the names of housemates because it is the hottest sh...