Friday 10 July 2020

#MyWordForToday is #Autonomy

#MyWordForToday is #Autonomy

On this fine Friday, I was taken back in time to my second-year philosophy by today's topic. 

Perhaps, I should have read philosophy instead of Law, because I was enraptured by philosophy in ways that I cannot even explain.

Immanuel Kant was a German philosopher whose views on autonomy remain relevant till today. He taught that we should have respect for the human capacity to direct their lives. (I have simplified it in my own words). 

Funnily,  I took a C in philosophy because of this Kant Guy. I just couldn't understand his views 😊. I am better schooled now though. 

Why is autonomy important? Prior to 1960, the people now called Nigerians had little or no say in their own affairs. 

Although, I wasn't born at the time, I can still sense and feel the rankling of being held over a barrel.

Autonomy may be defined as our ability to think, feel, act and make decisions based on our values. 

So, in my view,  autonomy is Agency's first cousin. 😊

The etymology of the word sprang from ancient Greek.  And it translates to self-law, self- government, or the capacity to make independent decisions.

Marrying all the above to the concept of leadership, be it as a Manager, Parent, Teacher or Heads of Establishments,  allowing and providing space for autonomous decisions, without undue influence is key.

I have discovered that I am fiercely independent, and I do not do well in environments where I am micro-managed.

I find it really difficult to thrive in those kinds of atmosphere. Freedom to make my decisions is very important to me.

So, inculcating in my Children, independence of thought,  self-worth and self-respect is, in fact, a no brainer. As I am a great believer in self-leadership.

I would like to implore parents to please teach these values to their children. 

Your children at some point in their lives will gravitate towards peer influences over your parental guidance. 

You want to be sure that their self-esteem is firmly rooted in them.

Proverbs 22:6 says "Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it". 

The Bible does not, however, say stifle your children. I think it is because even God knows we will be rebellious if stifled.

The need to allow for personal autonomy is not restricted to just Children.

Leaders must consciously cultivate an atmosphere that allows their subordinates to thrive.

This is because autonomy encourages individuals to take ownership of whatever project to work on.

Taking ownership refers to holding themselves accountable for whatever task given to them.  And engaging in it as though, it were their personal project. 

In Nigeria, we indulge too much in micromanagement. You see, when a person is micromanaged, the likelihood of the need to be constantly spoon-fed is quite high. 

They will turn out to have no ideas of their own. Well, they will have ideas, but maybe unwilling to share those, because they sense that you do not trust them.

They then rely on you to provide them with basic gumption (okay, that was said tongue in cheek). And worse, they will never take ownership.

We have a submission problem in Nigeria. Everyone wanting to exert control. 
Husbands expecting total submission from their wives. Parents too from their children, and employers from their employees. 

There is too much stifling going on.

Meanwhile, research has shown that persons granted autonomy in the workplace had greater productivity, higher levels of well being,  and attrition rates in those places were lower.

As with children, some level of autonomy is key, because it gives individuals the licence to thrive and flourish.

I must not fail to mention, however, that while autonomy is key, the balance between allowing too much independence and controlling a situation is also key.

I would love your thoughts on this. Please feel free to drop your comments. 

Namaste

Bibireosefowora 💌

No comments:

Post a Comment

#MyWordForToday is #Pedestals

#MyWordForToday is #Pedestals I am not watching Big Brother Nigeria, but I can tell you the names of housemates because it is the hottest sh...