Tuesday 7 July 2020

#MyWordForToday is #Intention

#MyWordForToday is #Intention

Intention is a word I became really familiar with when I rediscovered Islam during my service year. 

Although I was born, bred and buttered into a Muslim family and I was a Muslim for about 30 Something years of my life, until I rediscovered Islam, that word didn't really resonate with me. 

Intention is very important to every good Muslim because the Holy Quran says that "all actions are judged by intention". This, I took to mean that no matter the outcome of a thing, only the intention behind it will be the judge. 

As I grew older, I began to understand that for us men, the outcome dictates the intention and not the other way around as pronounced by the Quranic injunction or definition of it.

We find that bad intentions can result in seemingly good stuff and good intentions can go awry.

The Dictionary defines "intention" as a plan or determination to do a specific thing. This thus means that everything we do is begun by an intention. 

Intention is very paramount. It gives you a blueprint of sorts that helps you work towards your determination or plan. All actions, good or bad, begins with an intention.

A lot of people have vision boards to help them visualise what future they would love to feature in. So in my considered opinion, a vision board is sort of an intention or maybe, lets' say goal setting. 

However, no matter how beautiful or powerful your intentions are, it is simply not enough to intend, you must do more. If not, your intentions are just that: "intentions". 

Let's talk about the science behind Intentions. In some of my earlier blogs, I had talked about perception and how it rewires your thinking. Our brain can be made to change, by our thinking and experience; and this is called "Neuroplasticity". 

The children and I watch a British programme called "Operation Ouch" on DaVinci TV. In one of the episodes, Dr Xand said we can absolutely change our brains. It (the brain) is highly adaptive and it is able to organise or reorganize itself, by our help of course 😄. 

I related this to my late boss's tragic accident that made him lose his dominant hand. He had to learn to do everything again, his time using his left hand. 

His need/Intention helped his brain wittingly or unwittingly build new neural pathways for him. Isn't that fascinating?
 
I also read what Dr. Bruce Lipton, a stem cell biologist called "intention setting".

I know….🙈🙈🙈 when I first stumbled on it, my eyes began to roll backwards of its own accord 😀. But I stuck with reading it and somehow he began to make sense to me.

So what is Intention Setting? According to  Doctor Lipton and paraphrased by me, it is the ability to re-evaluate our thoughts to think positively because our beliefs negative or positive affects our cells, and everything starts with the mind. 

He said  "the beliefs we hold in our minds is converted into electromagnetic fields by nerve cells and the Brain "broadcasts" this information to all of the cells within the body"

So when we engage in intention setting, every cell within our body will behave in alignment with the intention we have set.

When you look at it, this is how affirmations become us. Science is quite fascinating in the way it helps us to re-evaluate certain stuff. 

The shape of our brains literally begins to change if we commit to an intention that we have set in.  This is proved by "Neuroplasticity".

As I have said before, Intention gives purpose to our thinking,  but we cannot just intend.  We must commit to mapping out strategies and thoughts that will help give life to our intentions.

In order to do this, our intentions must be well articulated and brought into focus. With an intention comes a purpose, or if you like a "need".  So, if we could turn our intentions into purposes/needs, our brains will be rewired into helping us identify what we need to do.

Think of it this way,  the moment someone close to you buys a  particular car, you begin to see it everywhere. It is not like those cars weren't there, you just weren't seeing them. 

In the same vein, the moment you intend to do something and you commit to it, your brain begins to identify the opportunities that will help you get there. 

So…. Intend, plan, commit and "magic" in your intentions.

Waiting for your comments using #bibiremuses on twitter. My handle is @tysalihu

Namaste 🙏🏽

Bibireosefowora 💌

No comments:

Post a Comment

#MyWordForToday is #Pedestals

#MyWordForToday is #Pedestals I am not watching Big Brother Nigeria, but I can tell you the names of housemates because it is the hottest sh...