Monday 1 June 2020

#MyWordForToday is #Bold.

My Word for Today is #bold.

Being Bold has so many connotations, so please permit me to write on boldness and self-expression. 

There's an adage in Yoruba land (South-West Nigeria) that says "it is one who has never encountered adversity that calls himself a man".

A man here simply refers to being a Braveheart and not a man as in gender.

I have interpreted this proverb to mean that if you have never encountered and overcome adversity, is it possible to consider yourself bold?

This is because in my view, being bold is a verb, an action word.

I very much doubt that many of us will look upon the first quarter of the year 2020 with fondness. We have experienced such turmoil, from the Covid-19 pandemic, racial tensions and attendant protests, deaths of our loved ones, it is all a bit too much, but even in the midst of all these ills, we have seen people who have boldly risen up to these challenges, from our medical caregivers to freedom fighters protesting for justice. 

For me, this is boldness through self-expression.

All of the values we had written about in our #DailyWritingChallenge, are all tied to being bold. "Determination, Rebellion, Diversity and inclusion, Humility are all values made possible because of boldness, you cannot project any of these unless you have chosen first to be bold.

I remember writing in the Year 2018 on "Start". It was influenced by my spoilt tap that kept dripping in the middle of the night, by morning it had become a full bucket, this reiterated to me that although little drops of water made a mighty ocean, you must be bold enough to start up the process.

Every little step that you take towards bettering yourself is so much better than just having lofty intentions.

Many of us are stuck in our bid to make a better life for us, and I think it is because of the fear of being judged.

The fear of judgment is so potent that it stops us from communicating our values to the people that we have the potential of increasing their own value. 

Being afraid of judgement is perfectly normal, our fears vary and can show up in myriad of ways. Some of us fear being judged for our lack of expertise, or perhaps the inability to speak in "polished" tones but the fact of the matter is that even while being held paralyzed by fear, boldness helps us, to move and achieve what we want to achieve. So we must simply do it afraid.

Also realise that no one is you, your story, your perspective, is a unique one that you must seek to put out, even if you must do it while afraid.

Back to the piece I wrote, it taught me that the hardest part of doing something is starting.

Being bold to startup will ensure that the more you do things, the better you get at it. Like Marisa Peer said "get comfortable with the uncomfortable", get comfortable with that which makes you uncomfortable. 

Many times when I have reached a plateau in my writing, I would seek out things that spur me on and helps me to dispels self-limiting thoughts that say I am not good enough.

I always fall back on these "when you start, you are already halfway there". I'm also buoyed by my mantra that I have held onto for years now "you cannot fail if you do not try."

There's also this phrase by Mark Zuckerberg that I've held onto for dear life 

"Don't discount yourself, no matter what you're doing. Everyone has a unique perspective that they can bring to the world."

I will leave you with this phrase: "The willingness to show up changes us, It makes us a little braver each time.” ― Brené Brown.

Be Bold, the world needs you.

Bibireosefowora💋

01062020

No comments:

Post a Comment

#MyWordForToday is #Pedestals

#MyWordForToday is #Pedestals I am not watching Big Brother Nigeria, but I can tell you the names of housemates because it is the hottest sh...