Friday 8 May 2020

#Myworddortoday is #Dreams

My Word for today is #Dreams. I wrote this piece about two years ago. But everything I wrote remains sacrosanct.

This article is an upgrade to fit into my current realities. And it is a fitting end to this week's  #DailyWritingChallenge

The whole universe is filled with sayings about Dreams. Some people might call these saying clichΓ© but they are true, and I am about to add my own set of clichΓ©s.

You see, a lot of people will die with their dreams unfulfilled, uncharted even, many will die with their dreams undefined......Since you are reading this today, will you allow me to stir your soul, to awaken your dreams?

Why you should dream:


1. Dreams are free, they literally cost you nothing.  Besides, your brain needs this wandering, it serves as a mental kind of workout. It has been scientifically proven that daydreaming is strongly tied to innovation,

2. Our minds typically move towards what it already knows, what it is already familiar with. And this is why you need to zero in on what your actual dreams are and begin to bombard your subconscious with those... In my own case, It had been my dream to speak at one of those prestigious Tedx conferences (still is 😊).  I wanted to speak on the big stage, to be a sought after public speaker.

So I began to flood my subconscious with these dreams. I even picked out my outfit, I think I was wearing a beautiful red turban to match my red lipstick.

I started preparing myself by watching public speaking videos, listening to people whom I admire speak and just generally learning how to improve myself whilst speaking.  Even though I didn't know where the opportunity to speak would come from, I just kept at it.

Also, I kept writing these random muses of mine, although it was more of a catharsis. I got my first writing gig from putting myself out there.

I do not know how, but that thing about the law of attraction is actually real. One morning at about 5 a.m, a friend of mine called me and asked if I could deliver a paper, my brain said yes before my mind could even catch up.

I got dressed, went for the training, it was one on leadership skills and I did it with such pizzazz and flair, you'd think I'd been doing it for years.

I thereafter got invited over and over again, in fact, I would usually receive messages from participants at my training saying "oh we loved your class", "your class was the best, thank you for the messages that you passed".

So please do not stop training your subconscious on your dreams whilst also preparing yourself, you never can tell when the opportunity to execute those dreams will open up to you. Executing your dreams is what differentiates you from being a mere daydreamer to an actualizer.

From when I was a little girl, I dreamed of being a Judge, I didn't understand how, where, when....maybe I read something (i was always reading things that do not concern me), I followed up by studying Law. That dream has been modified now though, Judges in Nigeria work too much, please. Lmao πŸ˜„

So, I settled for being a Barrister. And although I had many obstacles besetting this dream of becoming a Lawyer, I ploughed on nonetheless.

Like Colin Powell rightly said, "a dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, it takes determination and it takes hard work." Gbamsolutely (This is Nigerian speak for "aptly put") our dreams do not work unless we do.

So how can you make your dreams come alive? First, our dreams are a sum total of the consistent choices and decisions we make daily.

Aristotle once said "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”

Borrowing from this wise quote, we are what we do daily, so in order to fulfil our dreams, we must consistently take quality and intentional steps towards fulfilling them.

Second, you must realize it does not matter how old you are, your dreams are still valid, please begin to work on them. Age is no barrier.



Colonel Harland Sanders, founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken began the food business that culminated into KFC at the age of 40, he went from failure to failure but never gave up on his dreams, today KFC is a household name known almost everywhere. Friends, your dreams are valid!!!

Age does not have to defeat your dream, someone wise once said it is false to say people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing their dreams.

Dr A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, the former president of Indian once said, “Your dream is not what you see in sleep; your dream is that which keeps you from sleeping.”

Mark Zuckerberg had this giant dream of connecting people together all over the world, this dream gave birth to Facebook which for many of us has become indispensable. It wasn’t easy, it was serious hard work, but he did it.

We are in dire need of people who can dream dreams of things that never were.


Sounding a caveat here......whilst working on our dreams or aspirations, they may not move as fast as we think they should be, remember that the race is not given to the swift or the strong but to the enduring. Also, it is "your dream", it is not our "dream". Concentrate on your dreams and try to ignore distractions.

The third thing I would like for you to do is to observe social distancing from negative people because they always have a problem for every solution, they might rob you of the positive energy that you need.

Say ye to the naysayers of your dream “this little dream of mine, I am going to let it shine. Fam, don’t downgrade your dream just to fit anyone’s reality; and please don’t ever give up on your dreams.



Train your subconscious on those dreams and then get ready.

By the way, your dream does not have to start out being big (yes, people say if your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough), that may be correct. But begin to have those dreams first and then start magnifying them. Little drops of dreaming Folks, little drops.

This article is still dedicated to my chief Encourager, Shakirat Alade, I love you, Momma, bigly.

Keep your dreams ALIVE, be realistic about them and apply deadlines  (i.e. work hard, work smart, work tirelessly on your dreams).


Did you hear what Farrah Gray said? πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

“Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs.”

Peace!!!

My name is Bibire Ose Fowora (Pedigree cannot be bought or Class cannot be bought with Money).


And l hope to tell stories for a living.....


2 comments:

  1. "Its the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting"

    So so true! well-done.

    ReplyDelete

#MyWordForToday is #Pedestals

#MyWordForToday is #Pedestals I am not watching Big Brother Nigeria, but I can tell you the names of housemates because it is the hottest sh...